Medicare Advantage: Choosing the Right Plan ThisYear
Medicare Advantage plans are provided by private insurers and they are available during the open enrolment period and when you first turn 65.
It’s a subject that causes confusion and consternation for countless applicants, but it’s one that can be simplified with help from companies like Senior Coverage.
Senior Coverage is a leading referral service that connects applicants to the best and most affordable Medicare health plans, including Medicare Advantage.If you’re feeling a little lost and overwhelmed by the process and need a push in the right direction, contact Senior Coverage today at 1 (888) 479-1812.
What is the Open Enrolment Period?
The open enrolment period runs from October 15 to December 7 every year.During this time, you can:
- Change from Medicare Part A and Part B (also known as Original Medicare) to Medicare Part C (also known as Medicare Advantage)
- Change from Medicare Advantage or Original Medicare
- Get Medicare Part D (prescription drug plan) if you have Original Medicare
- Cancel or change Medicare Part D
- Switch between Medicare Advantage plans
Any changes that you make during this enrolment period may take effect on January 1st.
If you’re happy with the plan that you have, you don’t need to do anything during this period. If not, and if you fail to make changes on time, you may still be able to switch following a “qualifying life event”, which includes a change of job, retirement, or the death of a spouse.
What Does It Cover?
A Medicare Advantage plan is required to cover all of the services provided by Original Medicare. It may also cover you for some of the things not covered by Original Medicare, including vision care, dental care, and some prescription drugs.
However, it may not cover services deemed not to be medically necessary, such as vision tests, cosmetic dental work, and health & wellness programs.
The coverage differs considerably from one provider to the next, as does the provider’s network. This is why it’s important to work with referral companies like Senior Coverage, as they’ll ensure you get all of the coverage you need and don’t pay extra for the things you don’t need.
How Much Does It Cost?
Medicare Advantage is cheaper than Original Medicare. In 2022, for instance, Original Medicare is fixed at $153.340 a month, compared to just $21 for Medicare Advantage. That’s a very small price to pay considering the amount of coverage it provides, but that doesn’t quite tell the whole story.
While the premiums are cheaper, the deductibles are much greater. It’s not uncommon to pay over $1,000 for Medicare Advantage deductibles, compared to just a couple hundred bucks for Original Medicare.
What Else do you Need to Consider?
In addition to the cost and the extent of the coverage, you also need to think about the following when looking for a suitable plan:
- Network Coverage: If you have a specific doctor that you like and a hospital that you prefer, you’ll need to make sure they are included in the provider’s network. Some doctors don’t accept Medicare Advantage plans, so check with your provider or your doctor before you agree to a new plan.
- Check Prescription Drug Coverage: If you’re taking prescription drugs, you should check to ensure these are covered by your chosen provider and plan. Prescription drugs are expensive. In fact, in the US, we pay some of the highest prices in the developed world. If possible, these need to be covered.
- Out-of-Pocket Expenses: How much do you need to pay before the insurance kicks in? This is an important consideration and is something that can be altered based on whether you’re young and healthy or older and in ill health.
For the best plans from the most trusted providers,, contact Senior Coverage at 1 (888) 479-1812 for a free consultation.
Questions? Call 1 (888) 479-1812